Tigo Energy announced on September 4th the modular feature of its dynamic TS4 platform -- the world's first JBox platform to offer customers different functionalities, replacing the traditional JBox.
The TS4 platform utilizes two key components that are compatible with any PV module: The first component is a base integrated into the module at the factory. The second component in the TS4 platform is the cover, designed to host electronics supporting any MLPE functionality required. Installers of solar systems can purchase one module and adapt its functionality to any requirement by simply removing the cover and exchanging it for another without affecting the warranty. Exchanging covers is similar to a USB plug and play or a power socket in your home to which one can plug any appliance. The process occurs on site in the warehouse, or upgraded in the field as required.
Tigo’s TS4 platform is offering five different functional covers, available immediately at different price points ($2 - $38). With an open-architecture system capable of being easily upgraded or modified at any time, customers are no longer required to purchase an expensive fully loaded optimizer, they can now choose and pay only for what they need with unparalleled flexibility in design.
The five TS4 platform covers offered today by Tigo include; Diodes, Safety, Monitoring, Optimization, and Long Strings as described in more detail below:
• TS4-D (Diode): Most reliable standard JBox dissipating heat away from the module, minimizing the hot spots
• TS4-M (Monitoring): Remotely collects in 2 second increments: voltage, current, temperature, manufacturer name, module type, date manufactured, barcode, and much more wirelessly via module-level communication; brings operations and maintenance (O&M) costs considerably down
• TS4-S (Safety): Rapid shutdown compliant via module-level deactivation, supports anti-theft and revenue protection functionality (includes Monitoring capabilities)
• TS4-O (Optimization): Addresses shade, module mismatch, system level efficiencies mitigation, and age tolerance for maximum energy harvesting (includes Monitoring and Safety capabilities)
• TS4-L (Long Strings): Increases string length by up to 30% via voltage control mechanism of each module (includes Monitoring, Safety, and Optimization capabilities)
“We were so taken by Tigo’s revolutionary modularity feature that we decided to base two of our own product lines on the approach – Trinaswitch based on TS4-S and Trinasmart based on TS4-L,” commented Jing Tian, Head of Global Marketing at Trinasolar.
"Unlike other DC optimizer companies that require their expensive products to be installed on every module, our universal modular TS4 platform grants our customers the freedom to choose the solution they want and pay only for the functionality they need, guaranteeing them the greatest ROI." Tigo's CEO Zvi Alon went on to say, "The modularity feature of our TS4 platform is a viable solution that can accommodate the needs of any system or budget. It is the first solution of its kind to provide manufacturers, installers, developers, integrators, EPCs, and homeowners alike, the economical flexibility of paying only for desired functionality without racking up the costs of installing a full-function optimizer on every module."